Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Backpacking


We just got back from our first backpacking trip. It was a very difficult hike but if you look at the pictures you will see that the views were well worth it. It was breathtaking. The hike was uphill almost the entire way. The lakes we went to were at the base of Mt. Jefferson. We walked along steep rocky ridges, and trudged through mud and snow. Unfortunately I was so exhausted by the time we got there on Friday I wasn't really able to enjoy nature as I usually do. Almost every step I took was accompanied by a prayer. My hubby is so wonderful and attentive to my needs. I know that he wasn't feeling well either but he was more concerned about taking care of me. When we found a place to camp I had been feeling like I needed to puke for the last couple hours. I pretty much couldn't do anything......not even swat at the 23 mosquitoes that bit my face. Jay would come over and swip the bugs off me while setting up the tent. I went to sleep pretty fast and even though we were sleeping on thin mats I slept so well. The next day I was still exhausted but had a little more motivation to take in the beautiful sights surrounding us on all sides. We fished Bays lake and Scout lake for a long time but didn't catch anything (The fish were most likely full of mosquitoes). We were kind of counting on fish for dinner but we enjoyed a yummy box of mac & cheese instead. Believe it or not that was some of the best kraft mac & cheese that I've ever had. After fishing we decided to go for a quick swim in the ice cold water. It was sooooo refreshing. The cold felt so good on my blistered feet that I was completely content at just hanging my feet in the water to soak for hours. There were so many pretty wild flowers and butterflies everywhere! We got lots of beautiful pictures. So we're home now and we have blistered feet, bruises from where our heavy packs rested, and more mosquito bites than I would wish on anyone......however I'm glad we went. It was a test of endurance and we took away many amazing memories. Over the weekend I also learned more about my husbands compassionate and caring heart. His encouragement kept me going. I'm so thankful that the Lord has given me a companion as amazing as my Jay.

No comments: